- Searches are not case sensitive.
- Keyword searches the entire text of finding aids.
- If you are searching for an individual's name or an exact phrase, put your search terms in quotes, like "Mark Cohen" or "public hearings." Note that these searches will not return results for "Cohen, Mark" or "hearings."
- You can browse by Collection, Digital Content, Creator, or Record Group.
- To exclude a term from your search, put a minus sign in front of it. (For example, the search “press releases” -campaign will find materials with the phrase “press releases” but without the word campaign.)
- Create advanced searches by clicking the + button to add a new line to your search.
- “Wildcard” symbol ? will return variant spellings. ? replaces a single letter in a search term. (For example: searching wom?n will return both women and woman.)
- “Wildcard” symbol * will return multiple forms of search terms. * replaces any number of letters at the end of a search term. (For example: searching run* will return run, running, and runner.)
- If a search yields too many results, you may narrow the return by searching within the results page on the right-hand side.
- You may also filter via search facets of type and names.
- If you are not finding what you are looking for, contact the House Archives